Salford 10 Saints 52

Jordan Turner, pictured in a previous fixture, got on the scoresheet against Salford.
Jordan Turner, pictured in a previous fixture, got on the scoresheet against Salford.

SAINTS ran in seven second-half tries to condemn bottom side Salford to yet another heavy Super League defeat.

The City Reds showed genuine signs of improvement early on and trailed only 14-10 soon after the break, but the floodgates then opened again in familiar fashion.

Centre Jordan Turner grabbed two tries against his old club while Francis Meli - linked with a move to the Reds - also claimed a double at the Salford City Stadium.

Gareth O’Brien added to the home side’s humiliation by kicking eight goals from 10 attempts.

Salford coach Brian Noble had demanded improvement after heavy and embarrassing losses in the previous two games to Warrington and Wakefield.

He had also wanted to lift the mood after being forced to digest a two-point deduction for playing with 14 men for a spell earlier in the season.

His players initially responded as if they had heeded his words with Marc Sneyd and Saints loanee Lee Gaskell probing - although to no avail - in a lively start.

It was some time before Saints pieced together anything meaningful and even then Turner knocked on with the line at his mercy.

He made no such mistake to ensure the visitors finally broke through after 17 minutes, finishing simply after Jonny Lomax had broken the line and passed inside to veteran Paul Wellens.

Saints followed up with a second try just three minutes later as Willie Manu barged through some weak tackling to touch down.

Salford fans may have feared the worst at that point but their side responded as Gaskell pushed forward and former Saints star Martin Gleeson showed his enduring class to dummy and cross.

The Reds then held firm until the stroke of half-time when Gareth O’Brien added a penalty to his two earlier conversions.

Salford cut into that lead further after the restart as Sneyd spread the play and Gaskell set up Jodie Broughton out wide with a long pass.

The hosts could not maintain that momentum and were stunned as Saints upped a gear and hit them with four tries in a blistering nine-minute spell.

Wellens, linked with a move to Salford next season, slipped through a weak tackle from Adam Walne to mark his 450th Saints appearance with a try under the posts.

Lomax got lucky as his kick rebounded kindly off a defender but the Reds failed to react as he regathered and sprinted through.

Saints then cut Salford open down the right to set up a second for Turner and Anthony Laffranchi burrowed over from close range soon after.

Salford briefly stemmed the tide but Lomax put Meli over for another in the corner and O’Brien curled a touchline conversion over off the post.

It all seemed too easy for Saints as Meli was given time to flop over for his second and Josh Jones gathered a loose ball to bring up the half-century late on.

O’Brien’s final goal took Salford’s points against tally in their last three games to 166.