Saints 46 York 6

Action from Saints' thrashing of York in the Challenge Cup
Action from Saints' thrashing of York in the Challenge Cup
Share this article

Tommy Makinson scored 22 points as Saints cruised into the Challenge Cup quarter finals with a 46-6 victory over York.

The sole survivors from Championship One conceded nine tries with Makinson bagging four of the touchdowns and booting three goals from four attempts.

Makinson took his season’s try tally to 14 with fellow winger Adam Swift also notching a hat-trick of tries, while Mark Percival and Mark Flanagan also touched down.

Makinson was given a rest by coach Keiron Cunningham after an hour with the damage already done.

Saints thrashed York 62-0 in the last cup meeting between the clubs at Knowsley Road a decade ago - but this was a better effort by the part-timers on their first visit to Langtree Park.

York earned the biggest cheer of the night when Tyler Craig grabbed their deserved try in the corner three minutes from time and Ben Dent added the touchline conversion.

Saints were missing a host of senior players with Jordan Turner, James Roby and Alex Walmsley joining injured Jonny Lomax, Luke Walsh, Atelea Vea, Paul Wellens and Joe Greenwood on the sidelines.

Cunningham handed debuts to centre Olly Davies and forward Morgan Knowles on the bench while skipper Jon Wilkin took over from Walsh at scrum-half with Dougie Charnock deputising for the rested Roby.

York made an error-ridden start with early handling mistakes by Pat Smith and Ed Smith allowing Swift to sweep over for the opening touchdown after three minutes.

A neat offload by Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook then set up a try for Makinson in the corner from Percival’s kick.

It was a plucky defensive effort by York and Saints made unforced errors as they failed to add to their tally with Wilkin spilling possession.

Greg Richards almost set up another Saints try with a storming run before Wilkin made amends for his handling error by producing a sliderule kick for Makinson to notch his second try to make it 12-0 after half an hour.

Swift scored his second courtesy of a long pass from Travis Burns who handed over the kicking duties to Makinson after three misses. Makinson showed how it should be done, landing the touch line conversion to make it 18-0.

York’s Jonny Presley was then guilty of sloppy handling just before the break and Percival made him pay by sweeping over in the corner to extend the lead to 22-0 at half-time.

Colton Roche gave the small but vociferous army of York fans something to cheer early in the second half with a thundering hit. Ben Dent then broke through only to be halted by Knowles, before Tyler Craig almost touched down in the corner from a kick by the limping Presley.

The York stand-off, with his thigh heavily strapped, bravely stayed on the pitch to rally his side with Jack Pickles impressive in defence.

But Adam Dent’s mistake from a kick gifted a hat-trick try to Makinson after York had held out for the first 13 minutes of the second half. Makinson booted the difficult conversion to stretch the lead to 28-0.

York never gave up with Greg Minikin only denied a try his side’s effort deserved by determined defence. Saints responded immediately on the counter attack with a full length of the field move bringing Makinson his fourth try which he converted.

Flanagan scored his first try of the season after 63 minutes thanks to a darting break by Lewis Charnock who took over the goalkicking to make it 40-0.

Swift completed his treble six minutes from time Safter more slick handling, with Charnock adding the difficult conversion. But then Craig went over for York’s try with Dent adding the touchline conversion to chants of “easy, easy” by the visiting fans.