Saints 44 Widnes 22

editorial image

Saintd remain top of the First Utility Super League table but their 44-22 victory over Widnes was achieved at some cost with scrum-half Luke Walsh carried off on a stretcher with a serious leg injury.

Initially it looked like it was going to be a straight forward win with Saints leading 32-0 early on in the second half thanks to tries from Mark Flanagan, Tommy Makinson (twice), Mose Masoe (twice) and Jordan Turner.

But Widnes hit back with three touchdowns in five minutes to make it a contest, before Makinson completed his hat-trick and Willie Manu got in on the scoring, with Rhys Hanbury getting a late consolation try for the visitors.

Saints opened the score after seven minutes when Walsh sent Flanagan in, with Mark Percival adding the extras.

The hosts were soon back on the scoresheet when Makinson gathered Flanagan’s kick wide to touch down.

Further pressure told on 28 minutes when Masoe proved unstoppable from close range.

He had further to run for the next one, leaving Vikings fullback Hanbury with no chance as he steamrollered his way to a second try. Percival goaled again to make it 22-0.

Vikings lost back row MacGraff Leuluai to the sin-bin after numerous indiscretions just before the interval.

After the break Masoe’s offload allowed Turner to put Makinson in to cross under the posts.

Makinson then returned the compliment to his centre with another neatly taken try three minutes later to leave the Vikings reeling.

But the visitors managed to enjoy a blistering five-minute spell after getting themselves on the scoresheet for the first time on 50 minutes when they moved the ball well to create space for Cameron Phelps to power over on the left.

Virtually from the restart the Vikings were in again with a long range movement that was polished off by Phelps as he completed a quick-fire double.

A long delay followed after scrum half Walsh was carried off on a stretcher with his legs strapped together.

But after that enforced break, it was again Widnes going the length of the field with Stefan Marsh racing 80 metres, rounding Paul Wellens to go under the sticks. Danny Tickle slotted the goal and the score was pegged back to 32-16.

After that Saints managed to stem the flow and showed plenty of urgency when they countered, with James Roby helping the forwards to march the ball downfield.

And from a repeat set, after Hep Cahill’s fingers had nudged Gary Wheeler’s high kick, Saints moved the ball well with Makinson going in at the corner for his third.

Four minutes later the Widnes backline was breached again, with Manu pouncing on an attempted clearance to go over the line.

Hanbury had the last word when his momentum took him over in the dying stages, with Tickle tagging on the goal, but the result was a formality for some time before that.