Were you at Knowsley Road for St Helens 75 Wigan 0 cup classic?

Daniel Anderson had a smile on his face as wide as the River Mersey - but his predecessor, shell-shocked Ian Millward, looked as if he had been hit by a thunderbolt.

Monday, 8th March 2021, 1:44 pm
Jamie Lyon celebrates his try with Darren Albert during the Powergen Challenge Cup 75-0 quarter Final win over Wigan at Knowsley Road

Two contrasting reactions to Saints' 75-0 massacre of Wigan Warriors in the quarter final stages of the Rugby League Challenge Cup in front of a disbelieving 17,467-strong crowd at Knowsley Road on June 26, 2005.

It was Anderson's first season as head coach at St Helens who had dismissed Millward earlier in the year - 'Basil' moving just down the road to take charge of the Cherry and Whites.

Mark Edmondson scored three of his side's 13 tries, with Paul Sculthorpe kicking 19 points for the cup holders.

Lee Gilmour opened the scoring in the 11th minute as Saints took charge from the off, opening up a 35-0 lead by half-time.

Wigan were simply outclassed as they slumped to another heavy defeat following the previous week's 70-0 destruction by Leeds.

After handing out a mother and father of hiding to his fellow Aussie, Anderson declared: ''It was great entertainment for the crowd and I was very happy with our performance. It was a great effort.''

Man-of-the-match Nick Fozzard, who scored two of the tries, was also full of praise for his St Helens team-mates after the mauling.

St Helens coach Daniel Anderson acknowledges the fans after his side's 75-0 defeat of Wigan during the Powergen Challenge Cup Quarter Final at Knowsley Road

The prop said: "We've played some great games but this has got to rate as one of the best because it's against one of our fiercest rivals.''

A deflated Millward said: ''The Saints' fans gave me a great welcome back but what we did on the field was horrendous.''

St Helens: Wellens, Albert, Lyon, Talau, Gardner, Hooper, Wilkin, Fozzard, Cunningham, P. Anderson, Gilmour, V. Anderson, Sculthorpe. Replacements: Roby, Edmondson, Bennett, Graham.

Wigan: Gleeson, Dallas, Aspinwall, Wild, Carney, Brown, Moran, Seu Seu, Newton, Sculthorpe, Allen, Tickle, Beswick. Replacements: Hansen, Godwin, Guisset, Hargreaves.

Referee: Ashley Klein (London).

The only downside to this stunning and history-making display is that Saints lost 34-8 in the semi-final against Hull FC!