Town suffer back to back reverses

James Rushton Woods in action.
James Rushton Woods in action.
Share this article

Bootle 3

St Helens Town 0

St Helens Town 0

West Didsbury and Chorlton 3

St Helens Town’s goal drought continued as they fell to a pair of 3-0 reverses this week.

Town took the short trip to Bootle on Tuesday evening and turned in an improved performance on a night when lady luck appeared to be very much in the home dugout.

The visitors dominated the early exchanges only for Bootle to take the lead when an effort which was going well wide struck a teammate on the backside and the rebound was fired home by Tom Peterson.

This was followed by a gift of a goal as we gave the ball away in a dangerous area by Town before James McShane fed Peterson who made no mistake to double the hosts lead.

A second half fight back which saw Town do everything but score seeing snatched clearances from the hosts flying left, right and centre but not finding the net and a counter attack saw The Bucks put the result beyond doubt with a quarter of an hour left to play when Steven Williams turned a parried effort home.

Saturday then saw West Didsbury & Chrolton visit Brocstedes Park and Town failed to register for the fifth consecutive contest and recorded a third 3-0 reverse in a row it is now 475 minutes since they last scored when Chad Whyte netted the only goal in a 1-0 win against Abbey Hey.

The early signs however were promising as the hosts dominated the opening quarter of an hour. James Rushton-Woods had a good penalty shout refused before Andy Gillespie shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box with the keeper beaten and soon afterwards Chris Cottington shot just over the bar.

Town could not turn their possession into goals and the visitors came back into the contest as the half wore on and this culminated in a near miss when Lee Malkin shot into the side netting before Rory Crowther had to be alert to turn another effort from Malkin wide.

West open the scoring when Crowther could only parry an initial effort and Bryson was on hand to turn the loose ball home.

Two minutes later the visitors doubled their lead when a wonder strike from Matt Eckersley found the top left hand corner of the net from the edge of the box and despite a more even second half where Town’s best opportunity fell to Marcus Perry who shot over they could not get back into the contest and a late goal from substitute Tre Baldwin-Willis round off a poor afternoon for St Helens.

Town’s attentions turn to FA Vase action this weekend as they welcome Wakefield outfit Nostell Miners Welfare to Brocstedes Park on Sunday. with a 3pm kick off.