Town’s unbeaten run comes to end

It was a mixed week for St Helens Town as a midweek win took their unbeaten league run to 13 matches before a poor first half on Saturday saw their streak broken.

Tuesday’s short trip to Wigan saw Town take on basement side Wigan Robin Park who had had some improved results over the past couple of weeks but a comfortable first half performance essentially put the game beyond the hosts.

Town's Ed Richardson launches an attack

Town's Ed Richardson launches an attack

Town opened the scoring a quarter of an hour into the contest when a blocked shot broke to Mike Sykes-Wright who made no mistake firing the loose ball home.

The lead was extended on the half hour mark when the home stopper dropped a corner and Andy Gillespie showed his predatory instincts to poke the ball home.

Just before the break Connor Sanderson fired home a third to round off the half for the visitors. The second period saw Town sit back a bit on their advantage and when the first goal of the half came for the Robins they moved up a gear and looked dangerous on the counter attack as their hosts looked to pull another back to set up a grandstand finish.

It was however to be the visitors who scored again as Gillespie took his tally for the season to 11 in 12 games to secure the spoils and lift Town into seventh position.

Saturday saw Colne visit Brocstedes Park and as Town have done recently in home contests they conceded early an attack from the visitors looked to have been thwarted but striker Nathan Bond was the first react and he fired the ball home.

The hosts were off the pace for most of the first half and the best chance for Town fell to Adam Storey who had his effort parried by the visiting stopper with debutant Daniel Lowton in the home goal extending himself well to tip a free kick over the bar.

The hosts were much improved in the second period and as the half drew on the pressure started to build Nathan Parish could not steer his header either side of the visiting stopper and a good shout for a penalty fell on deaf ears after a centre from Neil Weaver.

In the closing stages the hosts looked to have deservedly levelled when skipper Lee Crompton sent a looping header goalwards and over the Colne keeper into the net but the referee harshly deemed there was a foul on the visiting stopper and Colne held on to recorded the victory.

Next up Town take the long trip to Silsden this Saturday (December 14) with kick off 3pm.