Sutton Heath claim cup final victory

Sutton Heath celebrate their cup win
Sutton Heath celebrate their cup win
Share this article

An excellent all-round team performance saw Sutton Heath take the spoils in the Warrington League Depot Cup Final.

They faced Rainhill Town third and with both teams at full strength it was always going to be a tight contest.

And the 2-1 final scoreline proved those early predictions to be spot on.

Heath started the better of the sides which saw Ste Burrows and Danny Bate both go close.

At the other end the defensive four of Ste Bennett, Danny Bate, Paul Ander and Sammy Lee were rock solid, limiting Rainhill to long range efforts.

Midway through the half a foul brought Heath a free kick. Paul Anders delivered the perfect ball which saw Dean Curtis rise to powerfully head home.

Minutes later Heath maybe should have doubled there advantage when some neat interplay from Adam Short and Gareth Smith released Danny Bate only for his shot to cannon back off the keeper.

Rainhill managed to penetrate the back four of Heath which saw the Rainhill player go tumbling in the box, only for the referee to wave play on.

A superb ball from Dean Curtis found Kev Parr whose cross-shot came to nothing.

In the dying seconds of the half Keeper Dave Eden showed some great handling to thwart Rainhill.

At half-time the score was Sutton Heath 1 Rainhill 0.

Rainhill came out all guns blazing which saw the go close to equalising.

Heath pressed for the second which saw Ste Burrows and Danny Bate both shots saved by the goalkeeper.

Rainhill started to get a foot hold in the game which saw a couple of efforts go wide.

Heath then struck to double there advantage, Dean Curtis released Danny Bate, who skipped by two defenders only to see his effort saved, resulting in a corner.

A superb ball saw skipper Gareth Smiths header nestle into the top corner of the Rainhill net.

With 15 mins left to play Rainhill were camped out in the Heath half and only a superb goalline clearance from Gareth Smith saved the day.

A free kick was the put into the Heath box which saw Rainhill grab a goal to reduce matters.

It was backs to the wall stuff which saw Paul Anders head off his own line to keep the Heath lead in tact.

Heath hit back on the counter attack which saw a Danny Bate effort whistle past the post.

Dean Curtis ,Billy Flynn and Kev Parr all had efforts saved by the keeper.

In the dying seconds a header from Rainhill flashed wide