Sutton Heath 3 Grange 2

Sutton Heath secures an impressive 3-2 win
Sutton Heath secures an impressive 3-2 win
Share this article

Despite an indifferent performance Heath overcome a tough Grange side to progress to the next round of the Guardian Cup.

Heath started the better of the sides, going close through a Mike Parr headed effort.

Minutes later a Danny Bate cross was again met by Mike Parr only to see his goalbound effort cleared off the line.

Heath finally made their pressure pay when a superb ball from Billy Flynn found Danny Bate, whose cross was hit first time from Chris Powell to open the scoring.

Grange finally tested the Heath ‘keeper Dave Eden from a 30-yard free kick which saw him superbly turn over the bar.

Heath then doubled there advantage after good work from Adam Short, Dean Curtis and Billy Flynn, the ball found its way to Chris Powell who struck a thunderbolt which nestled in the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

Grange should have reduced matters just before the break but a good save from Dave Eden saw Heath go into the Half time break 2-0 up.

To their credit Grange came out all guns blazing in the second which saw them quickly reduce matters, a neat through ball found their no11 who calmly slotted home.

Heath’s back four were under constant pressure which saw Paul Anders and Ste Bennett both make last ditch saving tackles.

Then good work from Sammy Lee found Danny Bate whose cross was flicked on by Mike Parr the ball fell to Chris Powell who saw his shot go wide.

Grange then got a fully deserved equaliser, a throw deep into the Heath half was not cleared and the ball fell invitingly for the no8 on the edge of the box to score .

With only five minutes of the 90 minutes remaining a Dean Curtis effort went agonisingly wide.

The first half of extra time saw Heath go close through Mike Parr and Chris Powell at the other end a superb save from Dave Eden kept the scores level.

In the dying seconds of the half a free kick inside the Grange box for a deliberate backpass saw a Paul Anders effort somehow kept out

Heath started the second half on top with Dean Curtis smashing his shot against the post and a Ste Burrows shot blocked.

Dave Eden then produced two outstanding saves.

Finally the deadlock was broken Sammy Lee found Danny Bate who cut in from the edge of the area beating two defenders to fire his shot into the bottom corner to send Heath through.