St Helens Town 2 Daisy Hill 6

Andy Gillespie
Andy Gillespie
Share this article

St Helens Town fell to their heaviest defeat of the season at Brocstedes Park on Saturday but they had the better chances before the opening goal of the contest.

An early opening was created when Connor Murphy did well on the right wing before releasing Andy Gillespie centrally but his effort was held by the visiting stopper.

George Lomax

George Lomax

The next chance for Town saw Adam Lawrence play an expansive ball forward which was collected by Gillespie on the left of the box he beat his defender before squaring across the six yard box the ball was half cleared to the edge of the box where it was collected by Ste Rigby but his effort went over the bar.

Gillespie was again in the action when he forced an error for the Hill defence and powered a shot goalwards but was denied by Chris Taylor from close range. Daisy Hill took the lead on 27 minutes and had a massive deflection to thank for breaking the deadlock.

Matthew Knowles tried his luck from the right hand edge of the box and it looked a routine take for Mathew Hodge in the Town goal only to take a deflection off an outstretched leg from a defender and beat the stopper into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Three minutes later another deflection helped the visitors double the lead a left wing cross took a deflection which looped it towards Daniel Gregory on the far post and he was able to cushion the ball home with his head.

At the other end Town spurned a golden chance to halve the deficit when Todd Blayney sent a left wing corner into the box which reached Eddie Pegler unmarked in the 6 yard box on the far post the ball was low and he stooped to head it but somehow managed to head wide of the right hand upright when it seemed easier to score. Daisy Hill then responded as Alex McPolin had an effort pushed wide by Hodge and just before the break they added a third when Matthew Davidson showed some fine footwork to beat a defender and fire home.

The game did not reignite until midway through the second half Daisy Hill first had a double salvo denied by the hosts as a goalmouth scramble saw Hodge make a fine save before a second effort was cleared off the line and soon afterwards the visitors added a fourth. Daisy skipper Craig Naylor found space on the left and advanced before firing an unstoppable effort past Hodge.

The final ten minutes of contest saw another four goals scored as the visitors added a fifth through McPolin before George Lomax netted on his Town debut after being found by Gillespie’s ball from the left wing. Less than a minute later Gillespie also got on the scoresheet as Johan Du Toit progressed down the right wing before centring towards the Town skipper who fired home for his fifteenth goal of the season. The scoring was rounded off when Daisy substitute Daniel Holoran netted in the final minute to give the crowd in attendance great value for their £5 admission fee.

Town are next in action this Saturday (November 28) when they visit Northwich Manchester Villa with a 3pm kick off before returning to Brocstedes Park the following Tuesday (December 1) to host Chadderton in First Division Cup action with a 7.45pm kick off.