Prescot Cables 1 Ossett Town 3

Share this article

Ossett Town completed a comfortable victory over Prescot Cables at Hope Street in a game which they dominated from start to finish.

Cables were without their leading goalscorer and talisman Rob Doran who was missing through injury and they failed to penetrate the Ossett defence until the closing minutes of the game.

Ossett kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End, and they launched a long ball forward straight from the kick off which was headed back by Shane Glean safely into the hands of Marcus Burgess.

Ossett had the ball in the net on two minutes, when after Burgess had parried Mackie’s shot, Alex Petersen was on hand to prod home the rebound but he was adjudged to have been off side.

Marcus Burgess took the free kick which was over hit and carried straight through to his opposite number in the Ossett goal Chris Backhouse.

Ossett were soon back on the attack winning a corner when Mackie was tackled by Joe Herbert. Steve Ridley took the corner which was headed over by Isaac Assenso.

Both teams struggled to pass the ball accurately in the opening stages of the game as the pitch was heavy under foot due to recent rainfall and was heavily sanded in several places.

Sanchez Payne tried a speculative long range effort from 30 yards for Ossett which was comfortably taken by Marcus Burgess on 10 minutes. Jonah O’Reilly played a fine ball down the left side to put James Edgar clear but he was adjudged offside.

Cables worked a nice move down the left side with Duke playing the ball to Edgar who passed to Bram Johnstone on the left whose low cross flashed just past the far post.

Ossett were becoming frustrated by several off side decisions being given against them, and Anthony Mackie was spoken to by the referee for verbal abuse.

On 25 minutes Ossett took the lead when Danny Frost’s shot rebounded off the inside of the far post into the path of Anthony Mackie who slotted home from close range.

Ossett looked to increase their lead and piled the pressure on the Cables defence. They won two corners in quick succession, but the Cables defence stood firm clearing on both occasions.

Cables won a free kick outside the Ossett penalty area for a foul on Jamie McCulloch. Bannister took the free kick aiming it towards the far post but the Ossett defence cleared it and broke quickly down the left through Steve Ridley who linked up with Frost, Payne and Kilner to win a corner with half time approaching.

Payne took the corner which flashed across goal and out of play for a throw in to Cables on the right. From the throw Shane Glean played a long ball down the right side to Lloyd Dean who held off the challenge of Hawksworth but was unable to control the ball properly and Backhouse collected safely for Ossett.

Cables kicked off the second half and quickly won a throw in on the right taken by Shane Glean which was cleared by the Ossett defence. Ossett scored their second goal on 52 minutes when Anthony Mackie cut in from the left and hit a powerful shot which Burgess saved only for the in rushing Simon Rogers to score from close range.

Cables responded winning a free kick on the right side just outside the Ossett penalty area.

Bannister took the free kick which McCulloch headed wide of the far post.

On 54 minutes Ossett replaced Sanchez Payne with David Brown, and Cables made a double change with Shinks and Scarisbrick replacing Glean and Dukes.

Cables started to get more into the game and Lloyd Dean headed wide from Bannister’s cross as they began to exert some pressure on the Ossett defence.

Bannister produced another fine cross which Jonah O’Reilly headed over the bar.

Ossett had an opportunity to increase their lead further through Mackie, but Burgess pulled off another fine save.

Cables made their third and final change on 70 minutes, Oliver Grundy replacing Bram Johnstone.

Joe Nicholson’s shot was saved by Backhouse and James Edgar had a shot blocked as Cables produced a late rally. Ossett made their second change on 80 minutes, Schofield replacing Ridley.

Ossett had strong appeals for a penalty turned down when Brown’s cross from the right struck a Cables defender on the arm.

On 84 minutes, Anthony Mackie who had been Ossett’s outstanding player went on a fine run through the middle playing the ball to David Brown on the right who accelerated into the Cables penalty area and fired the ball past Marcus Burgess to make it 3-0 to Ossett.

Cables grabbed a consolation goal on 86 minutes, Oliver Grundy scoring from Phil Bannister’s corner.

Ossett made their final change in added time, Nathan Quinlan replacing Isaac Assenso.

Cables to their credit didn’t throw the towel in and Scarisbrick and Dean both had shots blocked.

Prescot Cables: Burgess, Glean, Johnstone, Herbert, O’Reilly, McCulloch, Bannister, Joe Nicholson, Duke, Dean, Edgar. Substitutes: Shinks, Grainger, Scarisbrick, Harper, Grundy.

Ossett Town: Backhouse, Hawksworth, Kilner, Monfredi, Rogers, Assenso, Payne, Ridley, Petersen, Frost, Mackie. Substitutes: Brown, McBurnie, Schofield, Quinlan, Wood.