Prescot Cable 0 Warrington 3

editorial image
Share this article

Prescot Cables were defeated by league leaders Warrington Town at Hope Street in a game in which the Wires were comfortable winners.

Cables welcomed back captain Jamie McCulloch after a long absence through injury, but even his presence could not prevent the Wires from coasting to yet another victory to put them 16 points clear at the top of the table.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Knowsley End and Jamie McCulloch wasted an opportunity to put Cables in front after only three minutes when he headed wide from Phil Bannister’s corner. Cables had started brightly, and a good move between Nicholson, Dean and Doran ended with Doran shooting wide from outside the penalty area.

Warrington struggled to get hold of the ball on a heavy pitch with the Cables midfield dominating possession in the early stages. Jamie McCulloch came to Cables rescue when he intercepted a long ball for Warrington’s speedy winger Scott Metcalfe putting the ball out for a throw in. Metcalfe was soon on the attack again, his cross from the left being headed out by Jonah O’Reilly for a corner which the Cables defence cleared comfortably.

Cables won a corner taken by Bannister after a cross from Lloyd Dean was blocked, but the Warrington defence cleared the corner. Bannister then produced a fine cross from the right which just evaded the head of Rob Doran and sailed out of play. Warrington were resorting to the long ball game and a long ball from Danny Ventre was headed clear by Anthony Shinks. Another long ball put Ged Kinsella clear drew Marcus Burgess and passed inside to Steve Gillespie who fired towards goal only for Flood to clear off the goal line. Flood came to Cables rescue again with a good tackle on Joe Holt to concede a corner. The corner taken by Ventre sailed over the top of the Cables cross bar.

On 26 minutes Warrington took the lead when ex Cables player Ged Kinsella rose unchallenged to score with a glancing header inside the far post from Alistair Brown’s cross.

Warrington sought to increase their advantage and Joe Herbert conceded a corner when he blocked a shot from Steven Gillespie. Scott Metcalfe produced another dangerous cross from the left which was blocked by Danny Flood for a corner.

A long ball for Joe Holt was cleared by Marcus Burgess as Warrington continued their onslaught on the Cables goal.

Cables eventually mounted an attack, and Flood linked d won the left side with Rob Doran who over hit his cross and it sailed over the bar.

On the stroke of half time, Warrington doubled their lead when Ciaran Kilheeny played a neat one-two with Scott Metcalfe and stroked the ball past Marcus Burgess inside the far post to put Warrington 2-0 ahead.

Cables made a change at the start of the second half, James Edgar replacing Joe Herbert. Edgar slotted in on the left side of midfield with Jamie McCulloch moving into back four. Joe Nicholson had an early opportunity to reduce the deficit for Cables, receiving the ball from a throw in striding in to the Warrington penalty area only to blaze his shot high over the bar.

Phil Bannister then wasted another chance to Cables when receiving the ball from Rob Doran he blasted wide from a good position. Lloyd Dean then fired a dangerous cross across the face of the Warrington goal as Cables continued their bright start to the second half.

Warrington were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Cables penalty area for a foul by Jonah O’Reilly. Gillespie took the free kick steering it past the Cables wall but Marcus Burgess saved comfortably.

Warrington made their first change on 65 minutes, Warren Beattie replacing Steven Gillespie.

On 75 minutes, Bannister, Doran and Dean kinked up on the right to create an opportunity for James Edgar whose powerful drive rebounded off the inside of the post.

Both sides made a change on 79 minutes, Chris Gahgan replacing Joe Holt for Warrington and Charlie Duke replacing Phil Bannister for Cables.

Warrington wrapped the game up after 83 minutes with a penalty awarded for a foul on Gahgan.

After Ciaran Kilheeney’s shot was saved by Marcus Burgess, Gahgan pounced on the rebound but was brought down from behind and the referee pointed to the spot. Kilheeny stepped up to convert the penalty to make it 3-0 to Warrington.

Cables made their final change on 84 minutes, Josh Nicholson replacing Danny Flood. Warrington made their final change on 87 minutes, Liam Turner replacing Danny Ventre. Kilheeny found himself clean through on goal but was denied the opportunity of completing his hat trick by the linesman’s flag. Warrington had one more opportunity in added time from a free kick on the edge of the penalty area awarded for a foul on Scott Metcalfe.

James McCarten took the free kick beating the Cables wall, but once again Burgess saved comfortably.

Prescot Cables: Burgess, Shinks, Flood, O’Reilly,

Herbert, Evans, Bannister, Joe Nicholson, Doran, Dean, McCulloch. Substitutes: Edgar, Duke, Josh Nicholson, Scarisbrick, Donnolly.

Warrington Town: Wills, Brown, Dean, Ventre, McCarten, O’Donnell, Holt, Kinsella, Kilheeney, Gillepsie, Metcalfe. Substitutes: Robinson,Turner, Gahgan, Beattie, Deegan.