Easy victory for Town

Matty Davidson for St Helens Town against Winterton Rangers
Matty Davidson for St Helens Town against Winterton Rangers

St Helens Town 4

Andy Gillespie starts another attack

Andy Gillespie starts another attack

St Helens Town coasted into the next round of the FA Vase after a comfortable afternoon in Scunthorpe.

The visitors had a great start and opened the scoring with just nine minutes on the clock, Matty Davidson sent the ball in from the right and Warren Twist got a touch under pressure in the box before the ball broke to Ste Rigby and he curled the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Moments later it could have been 2-0 when skipper Andy Gillespie thundered an effort off the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Town should have been awarded a penalty when Rigby was taken down from behind as he drove to the byline but the decision was not given and when the second goal came it was from the skipper.

St Helens Town's  Graham Begley wins this aerial dual

St Helens Town's Graham Begley wins this aerial dual

Gillespie was able to profit from good pressure by Twist which saw Jack Start give the ball away in a dangerous area which Gillespie latched onto before rounding the keeper and firing home past a defender on the line.

The only surprise of the remainder of the half was that Town didn’t add further to their tally. Gillespie had an effort well saved by Sam Wood in the home goal and the rebound looped up to Rigby and his headed effort was pushed into the post by the stopper.

Twist then had a cross come shot from the right which hit the front post and he was again in the action just before the break when he beat his defender and sent a ball towards Johan Du Toit at the front post the keeper saved the flicked effort and the ball broke just behind Gillespie and Rigby who were in attendance.

The start of the second period saw the hosts come at Town but they produced little of note until the 70 the minute when Tom Corcoran’s well struck effort from the edge of the box was well saved by the previously redundant Graham McLoughlin in the Town goal.

Johan Du Toit whips in a dangerous cross

Johan Du Toit whips in a dangerous cross

The game was ended as a contest when Town added a third in the 83rd minute a swift counter attack saw Du Toit advance into the Winterton box and he squared to Lionel Agbodjan who slotted home.

Agbodjan then turned provider and in a similar attack moments later he linked with fellow substitute Marcus Perry and he found the net to round off the scoring and secure Town a visit to Rochdale Town in the next round.

St Helens Town are host league leader Barnton at Brocstedes Park this Saturday (September 12) with a 3pm kick off before visiting Rochdale Town the following Tuesday (September 15) with a 7.45pm kick off.