St Helens fighter Martin Murray’s world title shot against Billy Joe Saunders has been postponed.
The fight has been rescheduled after WBO middleweight champion Saunders suffered a hand injury.
It has been moved from April 14 to June 23 with Terry Flanagan’s bout with America’s Maurice Hooker for the vacant WBO light-welterweight title also postponed.
Murray, who has previously contested three world title fights, wrotes on his Instagram page: “Absolutely gutted that the fights been postponed but it is what it is. Just happy a new date’s been set so got to look forward to that now.”
Injury to the 28-year-old Saunders, who earlier in his career consistently suffered with hand problems, undermines his pursuit of the winner of the May 5 fight between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin.
“I felt my hand go during a session this week and sought medical advice immediately,” Saunders said.
“Unfortunately I’ve been told that I can’t punch anything for four weeks so we’ve been left with no choice but to withdraw.
“I’d like to thank my promoter Frank Warren for quickly sorting a new date. My trainer Dominic Ingle will make sure that I’m fit and prepared to put on another show on June 23rd.”
Warren, 66, added: “We are also working on a new date for the fight between Terry Flanagan and Maurice Hooker. I am speaking with Hooker’s representative Dino Duva and we will be making an announcement this week on where and when this fight takes place.”
Further fights involving the promising Daniel Dubois, Anthony Yarde and Ohara Davies have also had to be moved to June 23.