Prescot Cables 0 Farsley Celtic 3

editorial image
Share this article

Farsley Celtic took the points in a one sided encounter at Volair Park in which Cables had a man sent off just before half time.

After last week’s exciting draw against Brighouse this was a disappointing performance from Cables and they struggled to contain an impressive Farsley side who dominated throughout.

Cables Manager Andy Paxton made two changes from the side which had lost to Lancaster City in midweek, Jamie McCulloch and Jack Phillips replacing Ben Cartwright and Joe Nicholson.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End and a long ball for Rob Doran was headed clear by Farsley centre back Aiden Savory. Michael Simpson then passed to James Edgar on the left who played another long ball forward for Doran but Farsley keeper Graeme McKibbin won the race to the ball and cleared comfortably.

Farsley eventually got out of their own half and won a corner with their first attack from which Peter Davidson had a shot blocked. Farsley were now getting into the game and created another opportunity when Walker crossed from the left for Nathan Turner who fired over the Cables crossbar.

Farsley forced another corner and Walshaw headed over from a good position. Tom Brocklehurst hesitated when taking a back pass and almost gave the ball away to Walshaw but recovered to clear the danger.

After withstanding this spell of pressure from Farsley, Cables forced a corner on the left taken by Phillips which Doran got a touch to only for a Farsley defender to clear off the goal line to deny Cables. Jack Phillips then made a run from deep and took the ball forward but his shot from 20 yards sailed high over the bar.

On 14 minutes Cables almost gifted Farsley the lead when a poor back pass was intercepted by Walshaw who slipped the ball wide of Brocklehurst only for Bram Johnstone to clear off the goalline.

Cables relief was short lived as Farsley took the lead on 16 minutes when Nightingale and Davidson played a neat one–two, Nightingale producing a fine finish to slot the ball inside the far post to give Farsley the lead.

Farsley were now looking to increase their lead and Walker rounded Brocklehurst and crossed for Nightingale whose goalbound shot was blocked by Rob McIntosh.

Cables were struggling to get a foothold in the game and create any openings. Doran flicked the ball on for Dean but Savory cleared for Farsley.

Farsley keeper McKibbin then produced a long throw to put Nightingale in the clear down the right side, his shot flashing narrowly wide of the far post. Nightingale then linked up with Davidson, Brocklehurst producing a fine save to deny him.

Nightingale was having a fine match and almost doubled Farsley’s lead with an acrobatic scissors kick which shaved the far post. Tom Brocklehurst did well to take a long cross from Walker at the far post then produced another fine save to deny Marshall.

As half time approached, Cables received a setback when Jacob Jones received a red card for a professional foul when he brought James Walshaw down as he was through on goal. The referee pointed to the penalty spot and Walshaw took the spot kick himself firing into the top corner to put Farsley 2-0 ahead at half time.

Down to 10 men, Cables were soon under pressure as the second half began, Brocklehurst saving from Walker to concede a corner and then from Savory’s header following the corner. Davidson dispossessed Sam Turner to take the ball forward in a dangerous position for Farsley but Jamie McCulloch came to Cables rescue with a fine tackle to win the ball.

Cables made a double substitution on 55 minutes, Ben Cartwright and Joe Nicholson replacing Bram Johnstone and Jack Phillips.

Farsley created another opportunity when Walker’s cross from the left was pulled back by Walshaw for Davidson who fired wide.

Jamie McCulloch made another fine tackle to dispossess Walshaw and Brocklehurst collected the ball for Cables. Brocklehurst then made another fine save from Marshall as Farsley looked to put the game to bed.

Farsley then played the ball from the back through Watson finding Nightingale who passed inside to Marshall who laid it off for Walker to shoot, Brocklehurst making yet another save.

Farsley made a double substitution on 64 minutes, Jacob Hazel and Ross Daly replacing James Walshaw and Richard Marshall.

Jamie McCulloch who had had a finegame for Cables at centre back intercepted a long ball aimed for Hazel and headed it back to Brocklehurst.

On 77 minutes Cables made their third and final change, Josh Nicholson replacing Lloyd Dean.

Farsley scored their third goal on 78 minutes when from a cross to the far post by Nightingale, Walker played the ball back across goal for Jacob Hazel to fire into an empty net from close range.

Hazel had the ball in the net again from Turner’s fine through ball but was ruled offside.

Cables had one last chance to score a consolation goal, Josh Nicholson’s shot being cleared off the goal line.

Prescot Cables: Brocklehurst, Jones, Johnstone, McCulloch, McIntosh, Simpson, Phillips, Turner, Dean, Doran, Edgar. Substitutes: Quirk, Josh Nicholson, Cartwright, Herbert, Joe Nicholson.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Hardy, Clayton, Turner, Savory, Miller, Nightingale, Davidson, Walshaw, Marshall, Walker. Substitutes: Hazel, Howarth, Daly, Deacy.