Carnegie Challenge Cup

editorial image

A DANNY Davies try in the eighth minute of ‘golden point’ time gave Brook a dramatic victory in a pulsating Carnegie Challenge Cup first round tie at Boardmans Lane.

The home side started well and could have scored in the opening minutes when Danny Fairhurst was inches away from a kick through.

But it was East Leeds who grabbed an early lead when stand-off Nathan Conroy’s kick on the last tackle was seized upon by centre Jordan Normanton. Conroy added the conversion.

Both sides had chances but with defences excelling the score remained at 0-6 at the end of a hard-fought first half.

Two minutes into the second half Brook fell further behind as Scott Holland collected a bomb close to his own line only to be met by the Yorkshiremen’s prop Joey Walkin, who stole the ball in the tackle and plunged over for an unconverted try.

The home side then had to respond quickly and did, hitting East Leeds with three tries in eight sparkling minutes of rugby.

Firstly, Danny Fairhurst touched down after a Scott Holland kick on the last tackle rebounded off the upright.

Then, from the re-start, Brook surged back upfield and, after good work by Ian Honey at dummy-half, full-back Tommy Cunningham collected an inside pass from Fairhurst to score between the posts. Parkinson goalled to edge Brook in front.

Next up superb support play and handling saw McGilvray take Holland’s pass to score his side’s third try, with Parkinson again adding the extras to give Brook an eight-point cushion.

East Leeds refused to lie down though and with 10 minutes remaining they scored again when Lee Fisher went over from close range.

And three minutes later they regained the lead when Ben Walkin crossed from a quickly-taken tap. Conroy’s conversion made it 18-20.

But, with time running out, Brook launched a final attack which was halted by a high tackle giving the hosts a penalty way out on the right.

Parkinson stepped up to coolly land a superb pressure kick to send the game into the golden point period.

East Leeds enjoyed territorial advantage at the start of the extra period, missing penalty and drop goal attempts. But Brook kept their nerve and, after working themselves into the visitors’ half, they landed the killer blow when Sean Richardson drew the defence before releasing Danny Davies who scorched away for a stunning match-clincher.

Danny Davies was selected as both the Tisdalls man of the match and the AB Sundecks players’ player for Brook.