Blackbrook push cup holders all the way

Share this article

Bank Quay Bulls 29

Blackbrook 22

BATTLING Blackbrook pushed holders Bank Quay all the way but were just edged out at the end of a thrilling Lancashire Cup Final.

Brook took the game to the Bulls right from the kick-off, opening the scoring after just three minutes with a Lee Marsh penalty goal.

And, shortly afterwards, Mark Lee’s men went close to increasing their lead when skipper Greg Hale was bundled into touch at the corner flag.

They didn’t have long to wait for a deserved try though. Lee Marsh launched a long downfield kick from inside his own half and Danny Davies outpaced the Bank Quay cover to claim a well-taken try by the posts.

After winger Dave Weldon had gone close to increasing the Brook tally, the Bulls were finally stirred into action with Craig White taking full advantage of hesitancy in the St Helens side’s defence to jink between the posts to score.

Then, two minutes before the interval, Marsh extended Brook’s lead with a penalty. But right on half-time, Bank Quay struck again with Phil Braddish’s break paving the way for Paul Cragg to score between the posts. White added the goal to give the Warrington men a 12-10 lead at the break.

The Bulls increased their lead five minutes after the re-start. Following a period of pressure on the Brook try line, Danny Forster spotted a gap in the defence to stretch out and score.

Brook bounced straight back though when Ian Honey made a great run from acting half-back to send Danny Davies in for his second try to make it 18-14 to the holders.

With play switching from one half to the other, Bulls were next to score, pouncing on a Brook error to take possession and grab a close range try wide out on the right.

The end-to-end action continued and Brook should have replied following another Honey break, but this time the hooker’s pass failed to find any support and Bank Quay cleared.

Bulls gave themselves some breathing space, with a converted try by Wes Lawton stretching their advantage to 28-14. But Brook refused to lie down and hit back when Lee Marsh sent Danny Davies over for his hat-trick touchdown.

A Paul Cragg drop goal made it 29-18 as the game entered its final ten minutes, but Brook continued to press forward, launching a series of attacks.

However, dogged Bulls defence held them at bay before a long pass by Lee Marsh enabled Tommy Cunningham to go over for a late consolation try.