Washing machine sparks blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A faulty washing machine sparked a kitchen fire.

Firefighters were called to a house on Taylor Road, Newton-le-Willows, shortly after 1.30pm on Tuesday, March 3.

They used a CO2 extinguisher to put out the flames.

Watch manager Bill Green, from Newton-le-Willows Community Fire Station, said: “This fire involved a washing machine and firefighters reacted quickly to extinguish the flames.

“The occupier had closed the kitchen door before this fire started and this prevented the spread of smoke. We advise people close doors when they leave their property and at night before going to bed.”

The suspected cause of the blaze was an electrical fault. The washing machine was destroyed by the flames.

Crews were at the scene for about 20 minutes.