Warehouse blaze

Share this article

FEARS of a spread of asbestos were sparked after a ferocious early hours blaze at a St Helens warehouse.

Fire crews from Parr Stocks, Newton-le-Willows, Whiston and Huyton were all called to Central Grange Environmental Waste on Merton Street, off Merton Bank Road, shortly after 3.46am on Sunday (October 30).

Worryingly, asbestos was found in the roof of the 100m-long warehouse as firefighters brought the blaze under control.

But, although a small portion of asbestos spalled due to the heat, there was deemed to be no spread of asbestos beyond the site’s perimeter.

An environmental health officer was also in attendance and confirmed that there was no concern to public health. The contents of the warehouse - mainly wood and plastic - were left destroyed by the flames.