Tributes paid to devoted dad

Shooting victim Christopher Honnor
Shooting victim Christopher Honnor
Share this article

TRIBUTES have been paid to a popular father-of-two who was shot dead in Prescot last week.

Christopher Honnor’s family described the 40-year-old mechanic, who was gunned down at flats on Warrington Road last Thursday morning, as “a practical joker” who was “always willing to help others”.

A statement issued by his daughters, Katie and Leah, and older brothers, Geoff and Alan, read: “Chris was a devoted, loving and caring father and brother who lived life to the full and enjoyed socialising.

“He was well known within the local community and was a popular character, being born and bred in Prescot.

“He was also well known as a practical joker and would always have the ability to make people laugh. He was generous and always willing to help others.

“After leaving school he trained as a mechanic, which fuelled his love of cars and motorbikes. He worked as a mechanic with his friends on their bikes and would help out in the pit lanes at weekend races.”

An investigation was launched after Mr Honnor was shot at about 11am last Thursday (October 13).

Tragically, the probe was soon upgraded to a murder investigation when Mr Honnor passed away shortly after his arrival at hospital.

A post-mortem examination subsequently confirmed that Mr Honnor died as a result of a single gun shot wound to the chest.

Detectives carried out house-to-house inquiries, surveyed local CCTV and cordoned off the scene, near to Whiston Hospital, for forensic examinations.

Police have since charged Christopher Strettle, 43, of Park Avenue, Eccleston Park, with Mr Honnor’s murder. Lesley Strettle, 41, of the same address, has been charged with assisting an offender.

Both suspects appeared before South Sefton Magistrates’ Court on Saturday (October 15) and were remanded in custody prior to an appearance at Liverpool Crown Court on November 7.

A 37-year-old Prescot woman, who was arrested in the hours after the incident on suspicion of possession of a firearm, has since been released without charge.