Three held on murder rap

Paul Morson
Paul Morson
Share this article

THREE men were arrested last week on suspicion of the kidnap and murder of missing St Helens man Paul Morson.

Mr Morson, 31, of Spinners Drive, Sutton, was last seen on June 8 in the Huyton area.

Worryingly, a Renault Kangoo van that he had borrowed from a friend was then found abandoned on the A50 in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, on June 21.

Following a complex police investigation, detectives executed four search warrants at addresses in Merseyside last Tuesday (October 18) after “new information came into the inquiry”.

Two 33-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of kidnap and murder following warrants in Kipling Avenue, Huyton and Dalemeadow Road, Knotty Ash.

Two other simultaneous warrants were executed in Windy Arbour Road, Whiston, and Wood Road, Halewood.

A third man, aged 59 and from the Whiston area, was arrested in London last Tuesday night.

All three suspects have since been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

Det Chief Insp Dave Brunskill, from the Force’s Major Incident Team, said: “Following a long and complex investigation into Paul’s disappearance I can now confirm that we suspect he may have been murdered.

“Information has recently come to light which would indicate that Paul has been taken against his will and harmed in some way.

“His disappearance was so out of character and unusual that we treated it as a high priority right from the start and, despite extensive inquiries, he has not yet been traced.”

DCI Brunskill added: “There is no evidence of Paul contacting friends, family or acquaintances in the past four months or being seen. Having examined the circumstances in his life at the time he went missing, we now believe he has come to serious harm.

“Following four search warrants executed across Merseyside last Tuesday morning, and further inquiries in London, three men have been arrested on suspicion of Paul’s kidnap and murder and questioned.

“Paul’s partner and family have been informed of these developments in what remains a live and ongoing police investigation.”

Witnesses should call detectives at the force’s Major Incident Team on 0151 777 8660.