St Helens teen assault victim out of coma and back home

Assault victim Callum Cresser with his mum Lisa
Assault victim Callum Cresser with his mum Lisa
  • Teenager left in an induced coma now out of hospital
  • Police say the 18-year-old is recovering at home
  • Suspect remains on police bail six months after the attack

A St Helens teenager who was left in a coma after a savage New Year’s Day assault has been released from hospital.

Callum Cresser, 18, has now been discharged from the Walton Centre and is recovering at home, it emerged this week.

When we can’t be with Callum we get strength from the messages

Callum’s mum Lisa Cresser

And police have also revealed a man arrested in connection with the brutal attack on Callum remains on police bail - over six months after the attack which left the teenager fighting for his life.

Callum, from Clock Face, was attacked as walked home along Jubits Lane, Sutton, from a family party in the small hours of January 1.

The teenager was left with two skull fractures and a bleed on the brain.

A 41-year-old man was arrested in the days after but later released on police bail and has not been charged with any offence.

Shoitly after the attack, Callum’ mum Lisa wrote a harrowing account of the family plight on Facebook.

“Time has stood still, it’s a waiting game,” she said. “When we can’t be with Callum we get strength from the messages... Thank you.”

Callum, a former Sutton Academy pupil, was training to become a brick layer and the repercussions of the attack have devastated his close-knit family.

His brother Adam added: “He’s a popular lad with a lot of friends. He enjoyed going out and socialising. People are sending us lots of messages and we’re really grateful for the support.”

Police said at the time they believed there were many people in the area when the attack took place.

Det Chief Insp Sue Coombs said: “We know there were a number of people who were in the area at the time of the incident and we urgently need to speak to them as they may have vital information which could assist with our inquiries.

“One of the people at the scene is described as a white man in his late 30s to early 40s with light coloured hair which is shaved or cropped short.

“We also believe the victim was helped by a young male who left the scene before the emergency services arrived.

“This person is described as around 17 years old and is thought to have been wearing a black anorak and dark tracksuit bottoms.

“We believe both of these people may have important information and I would appeal to them, or anyone who knows them, to get in touch with us as soon as possible.

“I would also urge anyone else who witnessed the incident to contact us.”