St Helens man arrested over police gun drama

Police outside a bungalow in Ribbleton Avenue, Preston, after a man pulled a gun on officers
Police outside a bungalow in Ribbleton Avenue, Preston, after a man pulled a gun on officers
Share this article

A man from St Helens has been arrested after a gun drama in which a weapon was aimed at five policemen - but it failed to go off when the trigger was pulled.

The drama unfolded on the driveway of a bungalow in Ribbleton Avenue, Ribbleton, at 11am today.

Police said a man had been involved in a domestic incident in Mill Lane, Coppull, at 10.30am, before driving away and heading into Preston.

They claim there was no chase, but when officers caught up with his Ford Focus, the man pulled into a driveway of the dormer bungalow.

As he got out of the car the man pointed what appeared to be a handgun at officers and pulled the trigger, a police source said. The weapon did not discharge and no-one was hurt.

The man was detained and a firearm has been recovered and is being analysed.

A 29-year-old man from St Helens has been arrested on suspicion of assault and possession of a firearm and is currently in custody.

Det Chief Insp Kevin Mclean, of Preston Police, said: “These officers have shown incredible bravery in detaining this man after having a firearm pointed at them and it is fortunate that no-one has been seriously hurt.

“This incident just goes to show the sort of things that officers are faced with every day of their working lives.”

Yesterday afternoon a police riot van and a dog van were parked outside the bungalow and five police officers were seen searching the garage.

The gate was locked, with a silver Mercedes and a red Audi A3 parked on the drive.

Local traders said they hadn’t seen the gun, but were shocked at the number of police vehicles in the area.

One man, who asked not to be named, said: “There were riot vans all over and then they went in the house with a load of dogs.

“We knew it must have been something pretty serious, but the police haven’t told us anything.”