Predator jailed for 21 years

Double rapist Shaun McKeown
Double rapist Shaun McKeown
Share this article

A “dangerous sexual predator” who raped two young women has been jailed for up to 21 years.

Shaun McKeown was working as a taxi marshal when he attacked the first woman who was waiting for a cab, and his second victim fell into his clutches after she watched him playing his first game for Orrell Rugby Club.

Jailing him for 15 years with an extended licence of six years, Judge Alan Conrad pointed out that he had been on bail for the first offence when he committed the second.

“The facts of this case show you are a dangerous sexual predator,” he told 23-year-old McKeown who had no previous convictions.

He said that he had taken advantage of the fact both women had been drinking in “an abuse of trust.”

He will have to serve two thirds of the jail term before he can apply for parole and will sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

McKeown, who sat in the dock with his head down crying during the hearing, looked shocked when sentenced and taken to the cells.

Judge Conrad said impact statements from his victims – the first of whom was in the public gallery – showed the effect of his attacks would never leave them. Liverpool Crown Court heard McKeown, of Douglas House, Scholes, first struck on January 25.

He was working as a taxi marshal in King Street and the 22-year-old woman had been left alone and penniless after a drunken friend disappeared. He told her to sit outside the job centre but then “told her to follow him which she did as she thought he was organising a lift home,” said Paul Becker, prosecuting.

They went to the back of the job centre where he forced her against a wall and raped her twice.

McKeown gave her a jacket as she was cold and left saying he was taking a colleague to hospital.

The shocked victim rang friends who took her home where she told her mum of her ordeal.

McKeown was arrested two days later and gave inconsistent accounts but insisted he had not raped her.

Mr Becker said that on April 18 McKeown, who was on bail, struck again. He played his first game for Orrell at Ashton Mersey and the second victim, a 19-year-old, was in the crowd.

They had drinks with the team afterwards and accepted a lift back on the team coach and carried on drinking with McKeown and others at the Delph pub in Orrell.

During the evening the girl became upset and while crying outside with her friend, McKeown put his arms around her, reassured her and told the friend she could trust him and that he would look after her.

While the friend went to call a taxi, he ushered his victim towards the back of the pub where first he forced her hand down the front of his shorts then raped her twice.

“The victim explained how she was in considerable pain but did not want to scream as she was afraid that she might be subjected to violence,” said Mr Becker.

She heard her friend calling her and was able to push McKeown away and ran to her friend, while he walked off. He got home before midnight and his father saw blood on his shorts which he explained away by saying he had been attacked.

When arrested the next day, the victim’s blood was found on his trainers. In interview he denied rape or having blood on his clothes and denied his dad’s account about the shorts.