Parrot rescued from house fire

A parrot had to be rescued from a house fire in St Helens on Monday
A parrot had to be rescued from a house fire in St Helens on Monday
Share this article

Firefighters rescued a pet parrot from a St Helens home after an electrical fault sparked a kitchen blaze.

Crews from Eccleston and St Helens were called to a house on Speakman Road, Dentons Green, shortly after 9.30am on Monday (June 23).

Firefighters not only extinguished the flames - which destroyed an electrical socket, tumble dryer, washing machine and kitchen units - but rescued a pet parrot which was in danger of inhaling the dense smoke.

Nobody was injured.

Watch manager Mike Costello, of Eccleston Community Fire Station, said: “Firefighters quickly tackled the fire to stop it spreading. This fire had the potential to spread to other properties and it was only the quick work by firefighters that prevented it damaging a larger area.

“Although the property had a working smoke alarm, no-one was inside the property when we arrived.

“We also brought a parrot to safety from the property. It was really thick smoke in the property and, luckily, the parrot in a room which had the door closed, which prevented fire and smoke getting to it.

“We always urge people to close doors before they go to bed and whenever they go out.”

Firefighters remained at the scene until shortly after 1pm and visited 36 other properties in the area to offer valuable fire safety advice.

* Are you the parrot’s owner? Call our newsdesk on 01744 22285 or email