Parents’ new appeal to find Julie’s murderer

editorial image

The parents of a murder victim, whose body was found in St Helens, today launched a fresh appeal on the 20th anniversary of her death.

Julie Finley, 23, had been strangled and left in a field off the Rainford by-pass, the circumstances leading to her death remain a mystery.

Her parents, Pat and Albie, have released previously unseen family photos in the hope that someone can come forward with fresh information.

The poignant snaps show Julie growing as a youngster in Merseyside.

Merseyside Police is offering a £20,000 reward for anything that leads to the arrest, charge and conviction of the person or persons responsible.

Mum Pat, 69, said: “Albie and I have been put through 20 years of hell and torment, and Julie’s sudden and tragic loss has affected the whole family.

“It’s difficult to explain what the last 20 years have been like, but for me I feel it’s 1994 and I’m constantly waiting for Julie to come through the door, but she never does, and never will.”

Julie was last seen alive at about 11pm on Friday, August 5 1994, at Royal Liverpool University Hospital. She was talking to an unknown white man, of average height and build, aged in his 20s, or 30s.

A witness who came forward said he saw a young woman answering Julie’s description arguing with a man after midnight outside the Wheatsheaf pub in Rainford, 50 yards from where her body was found. The unknown man was attempting to force the young woman into a white transit van.

Detectives have previously appealed for anyone who had seen a white transit van near to the entrance of the field where Julie was found, and a passer-by did call detectives following the murder to say they had seen a van at this location.

Det Supt Tim Keelan, from the Matrix Serious Organised Crime team, said: “This family can’t rest until they have seen justice done and they still have many unanswered questions.

“We are still keen to speak to a friend of Julie, called Tina, who contacted the investigation shortly after the murder. Tina told officers that Julie had said she was going to meet a taxi driver from Prescot.

“Tina never phoned back. I would appeal to Tina to search her conscience and recontact us, as she could have vital information which could help Julie’s family in their fight for justice to be done.”

g Anyone with information which could help the investigation team should contact the Major Incident Team on 0151 777 8629, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.