Officer killed himself over lover

Brynn Street in St Helens town centre
Brynn Street in St Helens town centre
Share this article

A FIREARMS officer killed himself after he became obsessed that his policewoman lover was seeing one of his colleagues, an inquest heard.

PC Nicholas Corless, 36, was found with a single gunshot wound to his head in a silver Volkswagen Golf parked in Brynn Street, at the back of St Helens Town Hall, last February.

An inquest at Whiston Hospital heard on Friday (March 23) that the marksman, who worked at Manchester Airport for Greater Manchester Police (GMP), shot himself because he feared losing his job after assaulting his lover - fellow GMP officer Anne-Marie Greenall.

PC Corless, of Farndon Avenue, Sutton Manor, had resurrected a previous relationship with PC Greenall in March 2010, despite them both being married to others.

But coroner Christopher Sumner accepted that PC Corless, an anti-terrorism officer, had grown suspicious that his lover was seeing another GMP officer, Lee Entwistle.

This suspicion had led to several episodes of violence during the weekend of his death.

On February 25, 2011, a week after separating from his wife Lisa, the officer attacked PC Greenall after she refused to sleep with him because she felt ill from drinking.

The police were called and the incident was referred to GMP’s standards unit.

Then, the following day, PC Corless turned up at Mrs Greenall’s father’s home and a fight broke out between the two men.

PC Corless, who had been a member of the police force since 2001, was found dead on Sunday, February 27. Police, who recovered a suicide note, confirmed at the time that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

He left behind his widow, Lisa, and their one-year-old son.

Following PC Corless’s death, his former colleague, Supt David Hull, described him as “an extremely well-liked and respected colleague”.

He said: “Nick displayed a very real determination for and pride in his job.

“He worked as part of a tight-knit and motivated team of officers who have all been deeply shocked and upset by his tragic and untimely death.”

Verdict: Suicide