New mum who abandoned baby in toilets escapes jail term

Newborn baby April, who was abandoned in toilets by her mum Nicola Glover
Newborn baby April, who was abandoned in toilets by her mum Nicola Glover
Share this article

A Prescot woman who abandoned her new born baby in the toilet at an amusement arcade has today been sentenced.

Nicola Glover, of Hughes Avenue, Prescot, has been sentenced to eight months in prison for child cruelty, suspended for 18 months.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that the 30-year-old gave birth in a disabled toilet in Silcock’s Leisure arcade in the resort on April 16, 2015.

The baby, named “April” by nurses at Ormskirk hospital, was later found in the toilet by staff. Glover gave herself up to police the next day, following a press appeal.

Glover pleaded guilty to the charge of Child Cruelty in August and the Crown Prosecution Service agreed to accept the plea and drop an attempted murder charge.

Glover went to Southport on April 15, 2015 with her mother, her brother and her mother’s children.

At around 5pm on April 16, Glover told the other members of the family that she needed to go to the toilet. She didn’t return for about half an hour.

Her mother was suspicious but Glover didn’t tell her anything.

About an hour later, the baby was discovered by staff in the disabled toilet in Silcock’s arcade.

The baby was taken to hospital where her condition was described as “miraculous”. A pediatrician noted that the baby’s fate might have been very different if she hadn’t been found so soon after her birth.

Merseyside Police issued an appeal to find the baby’s mother. Glover’s half sister recognized her from a still from the scene and her mother told Glover to give herself up before things got out of control.

Glover agreed and her mother contacted the police. Glover later told officers that she had panicked after giving birth to the baby and had been frightened by events.

She told officers that the decision to leave the baby was “the worst decision of her life” and told a relative afterwards that she had made a “terrible, terrible, terrible mistake”.

At Liverpool Crown Court today (Wednesday), she was given an eight month jail term for child cruelty, suspended for 18 months. If she reoffends in that period, she can be recalled to prison.

She must also undergo 60 hours of rehabilitation, the nature of which is to be determined by the Probation Service.

Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for Mersey-Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service, Alison Mutch said: “This is a very sad case but, thankfully, the baby survived and is thriving.

“Nicola Glover has accepted her part in this dreadful episode and has pleaded guilty to child cruelty. The Crown Prosecution Service accepted that plea.

“This has been a complex case. It was important to see justice done but also show understanding of what has been a very distressing episode.

“The welfare of the child has been paramount to all involved in this case and she is now being cared for by foster carers.

“It has been important to strike a balance between prosecuting Ms Glover but also showing compassion and we feel that very difficult balance has been struck.

“She will no doubt regret the actions of that day for many years to come.”