Man taken to hospital after fire at laundry

editorial image
Share this article

A man was taken to hospital suffering from suspected smoke inhalation after a large fire broke out at a commercial laundry in Whiston.

Firefighters were called to the industrial unit on Stoney Lane shortly after 1am on Wednesday.

The fire started in the drying area of Berendsen, a business specialising in commercial washing, and involved a large quantity of textiles.

A brigade spokesman said a sprinkler system installed at the business had extinguished the blaze before they arrived.

And he said the flames had caused smoke damage to the building but it had been contained to the drying area of the business.

The man was taken to Whiston Hospital as a precaution, the spokesman added.

The spokesman went on: “Two fire appliances from Huyton and Eccleston community fire stations were called out. Firefighters were at the scene until around 2.30pm.