Man rescued from burning house

editorial image
Share this article

Firefighters in St Helens rescued a man after he attempted to tackle a chip pan fire in his home.

Crews were called to a property on Bruce Street. near Queens Park, shortly before 10pm last Thursday (July 24).

On arrival, firefighters from St Helens and Eccleston donned breathing apparatus before tackling the flames.

Only then did they realise a man was still inside the property attempting to tackle the blaze himself.

Watch manager Pete Nelson, of St Helens Community Fire Station, said: “The occupier tried to tackle the fire himself and firefighters had to lead him to safety.

“Chip pan fires can be extremely dangerous, can spread quickly and produce large volumes of smoke that can cause unconsciousness.

“We advise people to never put water onto chip pan fires as this can cause them to expand rapidly - potentially causing injury and further damage.

“Luckily, smoke alarms were present in the property and alerted the occupier.

“If you discover a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.”

The fire, sparked after a chip pan was left unattended on a cooker, was extinguished within 20 minutes.

Two men were checked over by paramedics at the scene but did not require hospital treatment.

Part of the kitchen was severely damaged by fire, heat and smoke and part of the ground floor was left moderately smoke-damaged.