YOU’VE heard of a plague of a locusts...
But stunned residents in Toll Bar were taken aback when a nearby factory began pumping out WOOL on to their homes and gardens.
The bizarre incident was caused by a malfunction at Knauf Insultation’s Stafford Road plant.
Resident Mike Elder, of Norfolk Street, says he found the material - a harmless wool-like product - strewn around his back garden.
He said: “There was about 25 to 30 piece shattered all over my lawn and plenty more over the borders. I went out the front and it was all my car as well.
“It has always gone on but it is periodic. Years ago it used to be white powder, now it is this.
“It doesn’t appear to cause any damage but that’s not the point. This shouldn’t be happening in this day and age.”
Mr Elder, 65, a retired Pilks shop steward, has contacted the Environment Agency and Knauf Insulation.
The dad-of-two added: “I’ve been in touch with Knauf Insulation. They response was that there had been a problem at the plant last Thursday, which would explain the problems we had on Friday.
“Their health and safety advisor said they were looking into the problem but this sort of thing should be happening in this day and age.
“They should have filters on their chimney to stop this kind of material escaping.”
Bosses at Knauf Insulation say they identified the cause of the incident and are working to resolving.
A company spokesman added: “Knauf Insulation apologises for the inconvenience this has caused and wishes to assure residents that the wool product will not cause harm to people or pets.
“Knauf Insulation is working hard in association with the Environment Agency to find a solution, which will ultimately eliminate the issue.”