A much-loved St Helens church is to share in a £607,000 funding payout from the National Churches Trust.
A total of 36 churches and chapels in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will benefit from the latest grants from the National Churches, the charity supporting church buildings of all Christian denominations across the UK.
Founded in 1953, the trust has helped over 10,000 churches, chapels and meeting houses with funding for urgent repairs and to pay for the installation of kitchens and toilets to enable more places of worship to become community hubs.
A total of 13 churches receiving funding are on Historic England’s ‘ Heritage At Risk’ Register, including Holy Trinity, Parr Mount.
The church has received a £40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to help fund a project to replace old mortar which has trapped water and damaged the walls, to then re-point the walls, re-slate the roof and re-plaster and re-decorate the interior.
Designed by architects W & J Hay, Holy Trinity Church was built in 1857 to serve what was then an industrial and mining community. The construction material chosen for the building is unusual in the extreme - copper slag, a very hard mineral by-product of the local chemical industry.
The blocks are roughly hexagonal in shape although no two are exactly the same, with the walls sometimes described as “crazy-paved”.
The church contains the second-oldest surviving use of glued laminated timber beams in the world and is open for community events most days of the week and several evenings.