Gas leak at pizza takeaway in Sutton sparks evacuation

editorial image
Share this article

Neighbouring properties had to be evacuated after a gas leak at a pizza takeaway in Sutton.

Firefighters were called to the Pizza Place on Junction Lane at around 10.30am on Monday.

The emergency services were called after a member of the public reported to the National Grid smelling gas in the area.

A spokesman for Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said: “Fire crews evacuated neighbouring premises and isolated the gas supply and a 27-year-old man was helped out of the premises by firefighters. He was unharmed.

“Fire Safety Officers undertook an audit of the property. Scottish Power and National Grid were also in attendance.

“Firefighters remained at the scene for around two hours and twenty minutes.”

Police were also called but they did not close any of the nearby roads.