`

Funeral takes place today of St Helens house fire victim

Ian Appleton, who died in a fire at his home in Clinkham Wood, pictured with nieces and nephews
Ian Appleton, who died in a fire at his home in Clinkham Wood, pictured with nieces and nephews
Share this article

Hundreds of mourners are expected to attend the funeral this morning (Friday) of house fire victim Ian Appleton.

The popular 51-year-old was died after a blaze - believed to be started when a cigarette wasn’t properly stubbed out at his home on Lingmell Avenue in Clinkham Wood.

Mr Appleton was a popular and well-respected staff member at United Utilities, where he had worked as a waster water performance technician for 12 years.

His funeral will take place at St Patrick’s Church in Clinkham Wood.