Fire sparked by cigarette

News story
News story
Share this article

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning after tackling a blaze in St Helens suspected to be sparked by a cigarette.

At around 8.30pm on Friday Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service attended Cherry Tree Drive to reports of a fire involving bedding.

The blaze involved a quantity of bedding in the ground floor living room of a house and the fire was extinguished by the time the firefighters arrived.

It is suspected that the fire was accidental and was started by a cigarette.

An elderly woman was assessed at the scene by paramedics.

A smoke alarm had been installed at the premises and the alarm activated. There was smoke damage to the ground floor of the property.

Three fire appliances were called out and firefighters were at the scene until 9.20pm.

Now bosses at Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service have issued general fire safety advice to help prevent fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials.

Station Manager Dave Watson said: “Residents are urged to ensure they take extra care with cigarettes.

“They should ensure cigarettes are properly stubbed out in a proper ashtray and cigarettes should never be left burning unattended.

“People should never smoke in bed and are urged to be careful that they do not fall asleep while smoking.

“Residents are also urged to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted on each level of their home and to test them every week.”

For free fire safety advice or to request a Home Fire Safety Check for a property call 0800 731 5958.