FIRE crews have been carrying out a safety campaign after a man died when a lit cigarette sparked a blaze.
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service delivered fire safety leaflets to 350 homes and firefighters along with fire prevention staff carried out 77 Home Fire Safety Checks.
The man died after a serious fire at a house on Lingmell Avenue in St Helens on September 26.
Crews were called out to the property at 6.30am and firefighters entered wearing breathing apparatus, quickly located a man inside and tackled the fire.
The man was brought out of the property but sadly died.
A member of the public had reported the fire after spotting flames near a window of the property.
An initial investigation into the cause of the fire has found the suspected cause was a cigarette.
During the reassurance campaign, people were given fire safety advice on the importance of having smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their property and testing them every week.
They were also given advice around smoking and how to prevent fires.
Group manager Gary Oakford said: “This is extremely sad that there has been a death in the St Helens area following a fire.
“It is suspected that the fire was started by a cigarette and we have therefore issued important fire safety advice around smoking to help residents prevent a serious fire in their home.
“People are urged to ensure they stub out their cigarettes properly and to always use a proper ashtray that will not topple over.
“We also ask people not to throw hot ash or lit cigarettes in the bin. People should also never smoke in bed as it is easy to fall asleep and drop a lit cigarette.”
For free fire safety advice or to request a Home Fire Safety Check go to merseyfire.gov.uk or call 0800 7315958.