Faulty TV sparked bedroom blaze

editorial image

AN electrical fault in a portable television sparked a bedroom fire.

Emergency crews were called to a first floor bedroom of a property on Shaw Lane, Whiston, at about 10.30pm last Wednesday (July 24) after smoke alarms alerted occupants to the blaze.

Firefighters conducted a search of the building to ensure nobody was trapped inside and extinguished the flames.

They later ventilated the property to clear it of smoke.

Watch manager Ian Wooldridge, of Whiston Fire Station, said: “The occupants of the property were alerted by a smoke alarm on the first floor and did the right thing and evacuated the building on discovery of the fire.

“We extinguished the fire and checked no-one was inside. We also requested that the British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service vehicle attend to offer help and support to the occupants.

“The suspected cause of the fire was an electrical fault in a portable television in a bedroom. We will be carrying out a reassurance campaign in the area to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms.”

The bedroom was left severely damaged by fire, heat and smoke. Around 80 per cent of another bedroom was also severely damaged by heat and smoke, and the landing was left severely fire damaged.