‘Dead scorpion’ found in baby’s milk

Caroline Black and baby daughter Olivia and the baby Scorpion found in a tin of SMA baby milk
Caroline Black and baby daughter Olivia and the baby Scorpion found in a tin of SMA baby milk
Share this article

A mum was left shocked and horrified when she opened a packet of dried baby powder - and discovered a dead scorpion inside.

Caroline Black was preparing a bottle for her four-month-old baby Olivia when she made the sickening discovery.

The 29-year-old had already used half the contents of tub and now fears her daughter’s health could be endangered if the milk has been contaminated

Caroline, of Bentley Street, Clock Face, said: “I was absolutely shocked and disgusted - I couldn’t believe it.

“You see it happening to other people on TV news and in the newspapers but you never think it will happen to you.”

Caroline, who also has a six year-old daughter, Grace, was preparing an evening bottle for her baby daughter.

Horrified after her grim find, she sent husband Lee out to buy a replacement before immediately reporting the incident to the product’s makers, SMA Foods.

Amazingly, they intially insist the reptile was likely to be little more than burnt powder and urged her to send it back to them in a jiffy bag.

Instead Caroline and IT manager Lee, also 29, asked environmental officers from St Helens Council to inspect the find.

“They had a good look and said they were almost 100 per cent certain it was a scorpion,” said Caroline.

“It is shocking to think something like this can be allowed to happen.”

She now faces an agonising wait to discover whether little Olivia has suffered any ill-effects from drinking the milk.

Said Caroline: “I just want to warn other parents that this sort of this can happen. I have taken Olivia to the doctors and am waiting now to find out if this has affected her in anyway.

“I will send it back to SMA once I have had a chance to let people know what I have discovered.”

A spokesman for SMA said: “We are committed to the safety and quality of our products, and we take reports like this very seriously. As is our standard practice, we alerted our manufacturing facility in Ireland immediately after receiving the complaint, and they have conducted a full assessment at the plant based on the information received.

“We also asked Mrs Black to return the tin and the contents to us so that we could conduct a thorough examination. The case is now with the Environmental Health Officer (EHO), who we are working with to investigate the case further.

l See our video of Caroline explaining how she discovered the scorpion on our website at www.sthelensreporter.co.uk