`

Could violence-marred dance festival return to St Helens?

editorial image
Share this article

A controversial dance festival where two clubbers were stabbed could return to the borough.

The Reminisce event was marred by violence when it was held at Sherdley Park in St Helens last year.

Organisers have announced they intent to hold the rave on September 9 this year however they have remained tight-lipped about a location.

Discussions are underway between town hall officials and organisers but the Reminisce team has not yet applied for a licence.

“Nothing has been officially confirmed yet because discussions are still ongoing,” a town hall spokesman told The Reporter. “The organisers haven’t applied for a licence yet.”

The 2016 Reminsce, an all-day and night rave organised by a Liverpool-based company, attracted thousands of dance fans, many of whom travelled to the bash from Liverpool.

A 35-year-old was attacked during the event and suffered slash wounds to his face.

The event has been marred by violence before, with another knife attack in 2014.

In the days leading up to the event, police had urged festival-goers to enjoy themselves safely and avoid heavy drinking and drugs.

A police spokesman said: “He was treated for a number of slash wounds to his face, which are described as not life threatening.

“A number of witnesses were spoken to at the scene and CCTV continued to be examined.”

It’s not the first time Resminisce has been marred by violence.

In 2014 a clubber suffered serious stab wounds after being attacked.