BREAKING NEWS - Prekkie and Scully forced to delay channel crossing

Paul Sculthorpe (left) and Steve Prescott
Paul Sculthorpe (left) and Steve Prescott

STEVE Prescott and Paul Sculthorpe have been forced to temporarily abandon their attempted crossing of the English Channel due to adverse weather.

However, the daring duo will now attempt the crossing on Friday - just two days before their tackle the London Marathon.

The pair were scheduled to make the crossing in kayeks today (Wednesday) but instead they will alter the sequence of their epic challenge.

They will move directly on to the bike leg of their challenge. The ex-St Helens rugby league legends both completed the Paris Marathon on Sunday in under four hours and 30 minutes.

Steve said: “The weather has conspired against us as at the moment there is a Gale Force 8 Wind out in the Channel.

“This has affected the ferries, as we were delayed by two hours in crossing over to England. If it affects the large ferries you can imagine what it would do to a small kayak!”

The pair will now cycle from Dover to London before returning to Dover on Friday to attempt the crossing.

The challenge is the latest in a series of epic journeys undertaken by Steve since was diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer in 2006.

Martin Blondel, The Steve Prescott Foundation’s secretary, said: “We always knew that the weather could play its part so a number of contingencies were put in place with the support of the relative authorities, the coast guard and our sea captain.

“Having looked at the most up-to-date weather forecast everyone is confident that we’ll be able to attempt the crossing on Friday.”

On Monday they began their 109 mile bike ride to Abbeville and Tuesday, a further 77 miles to Calais.

Steve and Paul are raising funds for The Steve Prescott Foundation, whose beneficiary charities are Try Assist, which is the rugby league benevolent fund, and The Christie in Manchester, where Steve receives treatment for his cancer.