Bird’s nest sparks chimney blaze

Fire service
Fire service
Share this article

A bird’s nest caused debris in a chimney to ignite.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at a property on Pilkington Street, Rainford, yesterday, Tuesday, at around 9.26am.

Crews used rope access gear, ladders and a high-powered hose reel jet to access and extinguish the fire.

The gas and electricity to the property were isolated and the bird’s nest was removed from the chimney, as well as a quantity of waste material.

Firefighters dampened down the area and a National Grid engineer was requested on scene to remove a gas fire appliance.

Crews carried out a Home Fire Safety Check and checked the roof space for fire spread.

There was light smoke logging to the attic roof space and first-floor rear bedroom.

Firefighters remained at the scene for around two hours.