From bagging a bargain to frying bacon - the little things that make Britons happy
Being complimented for losing weight, getting a bargain and finding a lost tenner in your pocket are among life's top 50 '˜sweetest moments', according to new research.
A study of 2,000 UK adults revealed the little things which make them happy - such as getting asked for ID even though you’re clearly old enough to drink.
Climbing into a bed with fresh sheets and the aroma of bacon cooking also help to brighten our day.
Other happy moments include seeing a dog with their head sticking out of the car window, being surprised with flowers or chocolates and the first coffee of the day.
The research was commissioned by www.spirini.com, a mobile phone app for deal hunters, which launches this week.
Spokesman Chris Needham said: “The results show how we get a little bit of joy from the smallest things.
“From getting a compliment to seeing something that makes us giggle it often the small things that make us happiest.”
Also in the top 50 is seeing an old couple holding hands, watching funny animal videos and the smell of freshly cut grass.
Having a good hair day features high in the list, along with seeing a baby smile and waking-up at the weekend and realising you don’t have to go to work.
Perfect toast, the lift arriving the second you push the button and getting some juicy gossip from a pal also feature.
The research found UK adults are typically happy four times a day and generally at their happiest at the age of 26.
Over half consider themselves to be happy more often than not - just 16 per cent described themselves as generally unhappy.
Nine in 10 said they like to be spontaneous although 47 per cent admit they aren’t impromptu enough.
And six in 10 people rely on others for a spot of spontaneity - in fact the typical UK adult is pleasantly surprised four times a day on average.
Over 90 per cent keep their eyes peeled for a bargain while over a third like to boast about their purchases when they get a good deal.
TOP 50 LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE US HAPPY
1. Getting a bargain
2. Getting into a bed with freshly ironed sheets
3. Seeing the sunshine
4. Finding a forgotten tenner in your pocket
5. Being told you’ve lost weight
6. Funny animal videos
7. Someone telling you that you look nice
8. Seeing a baby’s smile
9. Smell of freshly cut grass
10. Seeing an old couple holding hands
11. When daffodils come into bloom
12. A lie in
13. When your favourite song comes on the radio
14. The smell of bacon
15. Having a good hair day
16. Being surprised with flowers or chocolate
17. Someone thinking you’re younger than you actually are
18. A spontaneous hug/kiss/I love you from your kids
19. Being spontaneous
20. Waking up at the weekend (or Bank Holiday) and realising you don’t have to go to work
21. First coffee or tea of the morning
22. Home time after a day at work
23. Hearing one of your children has been super polite
24. Seeing your children win something
25. Being greeted by your dog
26. When a pen writes nicely
27. Perfectly toasted toast
28. Finding a really comfy bra
29. Seeing dogs stick their head out of car windows
30. Getting asked for ID even though you’re clearly old enough to drink
31. The lift arriving the second you push the button
32. When your cake rises
33. Catching your train in time
34. Getting some juicy gossip from a friend
35. Seeing people fall over
36. Finding a forgotten bottle of booze in the fridge/cupboard
37. Feeling particularly energetic at a sports class
38. Beating the traffic and speedily getting to work
39. Falling asleep in front of the TV
40. Getting new make-up/cosmetics
41. Sound of champagne corks popping
42. Pouring a perfect beer
43. Putting on a new pair of socks
44. Taking a nice selfie
45. Overtaking a smart Alec on the motorway
46. Seeing a celebrity you don’t like get caught out
47. Having just enough milk for a bowl of cereal
48. Managing to perfectly mow lines into your garden lawn
49. Peeling an apple in one long peel
50. Overtaking another runner when you’re out for a jog