Alternative sought after park sell-off plans are ditched
Knowsley Council will nowÂ attempt to find further savings followingÂ cabinet approval to abandon the sale of the borough's parks.
Councillor Graham Morgan, who took over as leader last month, said the council will now have to go through the budget “line by line” to absorb the costs linked to keeping the 17 green spaces that had been picked to be sold.
The council announced plans to abandon the parks sale just under two weeks ago after May’s local elections saw the ruling Labour group lose two seats to candidates who campaigned hard against the policy.
And on Thursday, cabinet officially endorsed an end to the plan, as well as stopping a proposal to join an adult social care partnership with a Sefton Council-linked company.
Cllr Morgan also said the council now needed the support of residents after cabinet member for children’s services Cllr Margaret Harvey announced the proposals.
Cllr Harvey said: “We have had to make some hard decisions over the past few years.
“We were not elected to make cuts we were elected to protect our community from the savage cuts of this Tory government.”
She said that the plan to sell the parks had been the subject of a business case but that the council had a duty to listen to the objections of residents.
Cllr Harvey said: “It is now time for for us to pay attention and show our residents that we have listened to the public.”Nick Tyrrell , Local Democracy Reporting Service