Is St Helens really the ninth saddest place in Britain? Here’s our 10 reasons why St Helens is a great place to live.
1. Saints - just the six super league titles to our name (but that’s still three more than Wigan)
2. Birchall’s pies - pork and pastry perfection since 1840
3. Steve Prescott’s legacy - not only can we be proud of the man but the success of his foundation as well
4. That’s Entertainment - what more could you want from a store than six CDs for a fiver
5. St Helens Reporter - THE place to get all the town’s news and sport for the past 150 years
6. Citadel Theatre and Theatre Royal - everyone loves a bit of drama and both theatres ensure it is easily available to all ages
7. The Billinge countryside and Crank Caverns - no one could ever get bored of exploring these when the weather’s nice
8. North West Transport Museum - It’s always nice to take a trip down memory lane and the museum in the old bus depot certainly hits the spot for people who remember when buses had conductors. There are also classic cars and fire engines to see. All aboard!
9. Nando’s - the Holy grail of Portuguese-style chicken has made itself a staple in many people’s diets ... but we do end up with having to let Wiganers in for their fix as they don’t have one
10. Carr Mill Dam - its nature trails are second to none and if that’s not your thing there are national powerboating and angling events to keep you entertained
Do you agree with our list? Tell us what makes you happy?