Rugby league officials have no plans to launch an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Lance Hohaia’s sudden retirement.
Hohaia announced on Wednesday he was quitting the sport with immediate effect and later said he was calling time on his career due to “recurrent post-match concussion type symptoms”.
He also revealed he was seeking medical advice to assess the potential effects on his long-term health.
Hohaia was knocked unconscious by Wigan prop Ben Flower in a sickening Grand Final assault.
But Blake Solly, the Super League’s general manager, said they were unlikely to investigate because Flower’s attack had already been dealt with.
“As far as we’re concerned at the Rugby Football League, the matter has already been dealt with,” Solly told the Guardian.
“There was a disciplinary panel last October which appropriately dealt with matters when we suspended Ben. We won’t be going any further into it.
“That’s as far as the RFL’s involvement into it stretches.”