Two rush-hour m-way smashes

File photo dated 27/10/10 of a general view of traffic on a motorway near Solihull. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday October 7, 2011. Dangerous drivers who cause serious injuries on the road could be jailed for up to five years under new plans, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke said. The introduction of a new offence of 'causing serious injury by dangerous driving' would more than double the current maximum sentence of two years for dangerous drivers whose victims are seriously injured but not killed. Campaigners welcomed the proposals, saying that, with 1,850 deaths on the roads in Britain last year alone, the move would 'help to provide justice to families whose lives have been ripped apart by dangerous drivers'. Mr Clarke said: 'We have listened to the victims of dangerous drivers, their families, MPs, judges and road safety groups and their experiences have directly informed these changes. See PA story LEGAL Driving. Photo credit should read: David Jones/PA Wire
File photo dated 27/10/10 of a general view of traffic on a motorway near Solihull. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday October 7, 2011. Dangerous drivers who cause serious injuries on the road could be jailed for up to five years under new plans, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke said. The introduction of a new offence of 'causing serious injury by dangerous driving' would more than double the current maximum sentence of two years for dangerous drivers whose victims are seriously injured but not killed. Campaigners welcomed the proposals, saying that, with 1,850 deaths on the roads in Britain last year alone, the move would 'help to provide justice to families whose lives have been ripped apart by dangerous drivers'. Mr Clarke said: 'We have listened to the victims of dangerous drivers, their families, MPs, judges and road safety groups and their experiences have directly informed these changes. See PA story LEGAL Driving. Photo credit should read: David Jones/PA Wire

TWO rush-hour motorway pile-ups occurred in quick succession on the same stretch of road last Friday (November 11).

Four vehicles were involved in a crash on the westbound carriageway of the M62, near Whiston, at about 5.45pm.

Emergency crews had to cut one man out of his vehicle before taking him to Whiston Hospital with suspected neck injuries.

Then, a short time later, three vehicles were involved in another smash on the same stretch of motorway.

Again, emergency crews used cutting gear - this time to rescue a man and a woman from two of the vehicles.

The man was suffering from suspected back, head and spinal injuries. The third vehicle contained a family-of-five - including two 12-year-olds and a seven-week-old baby.