Teen hurt after discarded cig sparked fire

Fire crews believe blaze was sparked by discarded cigarette
Fire crews believe blaze was sparked by discarded cigarette
0
Have your say

A TEENAGER suffered burns to his arms while trying to tackle a fire.

Fire crews from Eccleston, Whiston and St Helens were called to the front first floor bedroom of a house near Thatto Heath Road, Thatto Heath, shortly before 11.30pm last Thursday (January 24).

It is believed that the fire was sparked by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Fire service watch manager, Alan Moore, said: “The teenager received burns attempting to extinguish the fire. What he should have done was shut the door and get out of the property and call 999.

“Smoke alarms were also present to raise the alarm and alert others which is vital for people to react quickly.”

Firefighters applied burn shields to the 14-year-old’s forearms and requested an ambulance.

The boy was taken to Whiston Hospital for treatment.

The fire was extinguished by 11.39pm but about 10 per cent of the bedroom was destroyed by the flames.

There was also slight smoke damage to the first floor of the property.