Stark warning following tumble dryer blaze

A tumble dryer destroyed by fire.
A tumble dryer destroyed by fire.
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning after a tumble dryer caught fire at a St Helens home.

Fire crews from Parr Stocks and Whiston were called to a blaze in the conservatory of a house on Eastham Crescent, Clock Face, shortly after 12.30pm on Wednesday.

They used a hose jet to extinguish the flames. The tumble dryer was destroyed by fire and the conservatory was left lightly smoke damaged.

Fortunately, the occupiers of the property were home at the time, but St Helens Fire Station watch manager Jim Brammeier has issued a warning about the potential fire dangers of tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers.

He said: “There would have been considerably more damage if the occupiers had not been home at the time. We advise people not to leave tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers running while they are out of the house - or at night or while they are sleeping.

“People should also always have working smoke alarms in their homes.”