St Helens man died in devastating house blaze

editorial image
  • Man in his 50s found dead following house fire in Clinkham Wood
  • Fire chiefs suspect discarded cigarette caused the blaze
  • Joint police and fire investigation is now underway
0
Have your say

A man in his 50s has died after a house blaze in St Helens which is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette butt.

The victim’s name has been yet been released but firefighters say he was found dead at a property in Lingmell Avenue, Clinkham Wood on Saturday morning.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is continuing but the initial cause is suspected to have been a cigarette that ignited other combustible materials

Fire and Rescue Service Group Manager Chris Case

Police and firefighters are both investigating the cause of the blaze.

Fire and Rescue Service Group Manager Chris Case said: “Firefighters were quickly on scene and found a property where the first floor was well alight.

“Firefighters entered the property, quickly located a man inside and tackled the fire. The man was brought out of the property but sadly died.

“An investigation into the cause of the fire is continuing but the initial cause is suspected to have been a cigarette that ignited other combustible materials.

“We advise people who smoke to make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished before they are left and we urge people not to smoke in bed or near combustible materials. Cigarettes should be extinguished in an ash tray that is on a stable surface and can not topple over.

“We understand fires like this can have a great degree of impact on communities and we will be highlighting fire safety messages to people in the area in the coming days.”

It is believed the dead man’s next of kin have been informed while St Helens coroner Christopher Sumner will open an inquest into tragedy within the next few days.