Firefighters are urging St Helens residents to take extra care when preparing food after they were called to 10 kitchen fires across the borough last month.
Throughout August the national Fire Kills Campaign will also be highlighting cooking fire safety, which is being supported by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service.
Sara Garside, St Helens’ district prevention manager, said: “More than half of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen. People can follow simple steps to stay safe when cooking. It is also important that people use electrical appliances appropriately in the kitchen.
“Kitchen fires can have a devastating impact on families but can easily be prevented.”
Simple kitchen fire safety tips include keeping matches and saucepan handles out of the reach of children, keeping tea towels and cloths away from the cooker, taking care with electrical appliances and taking great care when cooking with hot oil.
St Helens district manager, Chris Case, added: “People are advised to have smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their property and to test them every week.
“A working smoke alarm can give you valuable seconds to escape a house fire.”