DCSIMG

No smoke alarms warning at blaze home

editorial image

editorial image

Firefighters say a house hit by a ferocious fire had no smoke alarms.

Crews from Eccleston and Whiston were called to a blaze on Sadlers Lane, Eccleston, at about 2.20pm last Wednesday (January 29).

The fire is believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault in a wall light and the occupiers of the house were not home at the time.

The flames spread to a book case and caused severe fire damage to the lounge.

There was also smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

Watch manager Mike Costello, of Eccleston Community Fire Station, said: “There were no working smoke alarms in the house at the time. If the property had been occupied it could have been a much more serious incident.

“We completed a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted smoke alarms. Smoke alarms give an early warning of a fire. We advise that everybody has a smoke alarm fitted on each floor of their property and that they test them every week.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page